The Lachine portion of Meadowbrook’s designation has been changed from “residential” to “large green space or recreational” (similar to what Côte-St.-Luc did in 2000). Meadowbrook can now be rezoned and will be protected from development.
The Montreal Urban Agglomeration Land Use and Development Plan for the next 10 years was unveiled January 22 at a press conference held by Mayor Coderre and Mayor Copeman.
The plan needs to be adopted by the Montreal Municipal Council and the Montreal Urban Agglomeration Council.
Our heartfelt thanks to all who supported our efforts over the last 25 years! And, a special thanks to the hard-working and dedicated SOS Meadowbrook steering committee members past and present.
- Entire Meadowbrook now protected - NDG Free Press
- Is overdevelopment just par for the course? – The Link
- Radio CKUT – February 2015 (commence à 39:00)
- CSL files motion to dismiss developer’s lawsuit – The Suburban Jan. 28 2015
- Meadowbrook supporters pleased – Montreal Gazette
- Montreal-gives-meadowbrook-green-designation – Montreal Gazette
- City a step closer – CTV
- Land will be preserved – CBC
- Un nouveau plan – 24
- Le plan de Montréal – Métro
- La Presse video
- Nouveau plan pour Montréal – TVA
- Meadowbrook sera protégé – Le devoir
CRE-Montreal: Un incontournable pour la trame verte et bleue
Get yours for $15 from email@example.com
On October 17, Les Amis did just that at Royal West Academy, who generously contributed both the auditorium and student volunteers (who were only too eager to dress in Meadowbrook animal costumes). Over 200 supporters and friends from all over the island of Montreal came for a Rock vs Disco Danse Party Gala to celebrate the group’s accomplishments and to find out what needs help from here on. The students served food, helped the dance judges, and guided winners to the door prizes donated by merchants and supporters, while the cheerful bartenders were kept busy pouring drinks for the thirsty dancers.
Disco was declared the winner (4:3) by the comedy trio of judges, and the trophy was presented to the excellent DJ, also the sound and light expert. Revelers had to be asked to leave at 12:45 pm, a sign the evening was a resounding success. The Gala raised over $6,500, not including the good will that has sustained Les Amis and will be needed in the future to confront current City plans to negotiate with the developer.
Many thanks to Daniel Boulerice, Barbara Tekker, Muffy Brown, Campbell Stuart, Irwin Rapoport, Wendy Dodge & Liz Cooper for their enthusiasm in organizing this celebration. We are also grateful for the many SOS Meadowbrook people who sold tickets and the many volunteers who stepped up to make this event a success: Joann Egar, Sondra Sherman, Louise Legault, Andy Dodge, Patrick Asch, Rebecca Million, Una Million-Lovett, Zoe Fargnoli Brown, Simone Faregh-Zgierski, JD Mogil, and Jacob Mogil, DJ Chris Iannotti and the Royal West Academy Environment Committee students.
Looking forward to keeping Meadowbrook green forever!
Thank you to those who took the time to draft and present briefs to the commission at city hall for the public consultation on the Montreal urban agglomeration and land use development plan. This plan will serve as a reference for city planning and decision-making by our councillors and mayor. Many briefs mentioned Meadowbrook, an indication of the significant interest in this plot of nature and of its importance to Montreal citizens.
If you missed the presentations please check out the briefs about Meadowbrook below:
- Elizabeth Cooper
- Clayton Symon
- Jochen Jaeger and Megan Deslauriers
- Anna Symon
- Deborah Hayek
- Patricia Rachofsky
- Les Amis du Parc Meadowbrook
- Deanne Delaney
- Malcolm Lewis-Richmond
- Lisa Mintz
- Nigel Dove (présentation)
- Ville de Côte Saint-Luc
- Cymry Gomery
- Daniel Boulerice
Many presenters included Meadowbrook as part of a broader interest in Montreal’s green spaces:
- Héritage Laurentien
- Al Hayek
- Patrick Asch
- Linda Besner (présentation)
- Sue Stacho
- David Fletcher
- Save the Park – Patrick Barnard
- Pierre Marcoux
- Tom Schwalb
- Green Coalition
- Protection des oiseaux du Québec
- Le regroupement des citoyens de Saraguay
- Sierra Club Québec
- Projet Montréal
- Conseil régional de l’environnement de Montréal
- Nina Gould
- Donald Hobus
- Irwin Rapoport
These presentations addressed green or natural spaces, urban sprawl, and route verte for cycling:
- Coalition Montréalaise des Tables de Quartier
- Comité de sauvegarde du patrimoine bâti et naturel Desmarchais-Crawford de Verdun
- Naghmeh Nazarnia
- Regroupement des éco-quartiers
- Solidarité Saint-Henri
- Catherine Chabot
- Sonja Susnjar, Tracy Arial
- Les amis du parc Angrignon
- Centre d’écologie urbain de Montréal
- Éco-quartier du Sud-Ouest
- Espaces verts et milieux naturalisés Golf Meadowbrook
- Les amis de la montagne
- Rayside Labossière et Tous pour l’aménagement du Centre-Sud
- Tous pour l’aménagement du Centre-Sud (présentation)
- Association pour la Protection du Bois Angell (APBA)
- Mouvement Ceinture Verte
All the briefs that were presented to the commission can be found at the Montreal City Portal.